Sunday, June 26, 2011

Biking Across America 6/23 Day 1

I started in Yorktown VA at around 4.
Put my bike into the water and hoped to do the same in San Francisco.
At first, it was kind of nerve wracking going by myself and meeting with my mom 50 miles ahead.
There were just so many things I was considering at one point. The one that bothered me the most was, "Am I even going in the right direction."
I eventually got the hang of reading the map and was pretty much enjoying the scenery from then on out.

I averaged 10 mph today, which is actually kind of slow.
I think it's because I'm not used to riding with the 20 lb load on my back rack.

I got lost in Williamsburg for about an hour but found my way back.
Got lost again after dark - bad idea.
Rode through the forest so all these mosquito, gnats and beetles came out after the sunset and I must have flown into at least a couple hundred of them. They were like little pelts of hail when I biked into them. I think I ate/breathed in 5 of them (protein?) and then one got into my eye.

Got to the campsite around nine. Set up tent and was about to go to sleep when I met these two girls at the place. Talked to them a bit and then slept at around 12.
Couldn't fall asleep the first night and I only got in about two hours of rest.

Distance traveled: 40 miles
Time took [including breaks and getting lost]: 5 hours
Shoutout to Debra for helping me so much at the campsite and in giving me directions.

No comments:

Post a Comment