Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Biking Across America 6/24 Day 2

These posts don't match up in date, partially because I don't have access to a computer until a couple days later when I can update.
Most of the info I blog about is written down in a notebook at the end of each day, so everything is pretty much typed up from there.

So day 2, Friday
I was biking to the Virginia state capital, Richmond, but there was a horrible headwind so it slowed me down a at least 3 mph.
It was a pretty scenic ride going through the countryside and I got to Richmond around 7 at night.
Problem was, I had to get to a motel and it was already starting to get dark.
A GPS that I brought along with me took me to an interstate highway where cyclists aren't allowed, but that was the only way I could get across some river, so I biked on it for a mile or two. Then a lady at the toll booth told me I had to take the next exit off.
Problem was I still wasn't across the river. I asked around the neighborhood and I was so surprised at how hospitable people were.
I eventually got across at around 9 and then biked through a pretty scary Newark-like section for 4 miles until I got to the motel.
Was tired as hell when I went to sleep.

Distance traveled: 60 miles.
Time: 9 hours
Shoutout to Wayland for giving me tons of advice on cycling and leading me through Richmond.

No comments:

Post a Comment