Friday, July 22, 2011

I'm in Jail / Day 20

No seriously, I'm in Jail. It's completely great.
There's a TV, AC, washing machine, a computer, a bed.
I could just live here. (pic -->>)

It's called Al's place. It used to be a jailhouse that was converted into a suite for cyclists. It still has some of the jail bars on the windows, but other than that, it is beautiful in here.
I got up late today. I realize that even though biking up mountains and riding across America takes mental strength, getting up in the morning is even worse.
After being so tired the night before, you just want to stay in bed until the rest of eternity, or at least until House comes on at night; but nevertheless, you have to push yourself to crawl out of bed and cross the threshold into to-be 100 degree weather.

I try getting up at 6 to beat some of the heat, but it turns out that I slept through the alarm until 8. By then, it was already 90 degrees outside.

Crossed into Missouri today and after about 8 miles, I hit the first couple hills of the Ozarks.
(The Ozarks are a long and steep mountain range in South Missouri) Already, the climbing is taking a toll on my legs. I can only hope that it gets better tomorrow in 100 degree weather.

Did a short distance today because if I went any further, the next rest area would be a total of 120 miles, which I couldn't possibly fit in by nightfall.
So I went to jail instead. I didn't collect $200 on my way there.



Distance Traveled: 44 miles
Time outside: 6 hours
Heat index: 106 degrees

Chester, Il >> Farmington, MO

(Mississippi river - the one that Huckleberry Finn went down)

No comments:

Post a Comment