Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Biking Across America 6/28 Day 5

I rode up the Blue Ridge Parkway today.
The view was amazing from the top of the mountain (3200 feet).
Today was the first day I rode through rain and thunder. It actually got kind of scary with all the lightening flashing so close to me.
After the rain stopped, the road was unbearable slippery and it was unfortunate that I just so happen to be going downhill at this time.
There was a sharp left turn at the bottom of a slope and I decided to hit my back brake.

Unfortunately, the back wheel slid out from under me and I was thrown off my bike for God knows how long. When I got up, I was in bloody pain: there was a 4 inch skin abrasion on my leg and I sprained my wrist.
I was lucky enough to have a passerby, Carolyn and her husband to take me into their home and clean up the wound.
Without them, my leg certainly would have gotten infected.
My mom ended up picking me up and bringing me to a hotel where we re-bandaged the wound.

Distance traveled: 20 miles
Time: 3 hours
Shoutout to Buz for helping me fix my brakes and finding my glove.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Chris, sorry about your crash. I hope you will quickly recover and be back on the bike. It was great to meet you on the Parkway. I had a safe and fun week riding up and down the Parkway. May your roads be smooth and filled with tail winds!!!

    Pedal on,
    buz

    ReplyDelete