Friday, July 22, 2011

What is that Mysterious Ticking Noise / Fried Worms - Day 19

Woke up at around 8 today and headed off to a the Bike Surgeon to get my bike tuned up.
It was making some funny ticking noises that would really piss me off.
When I got there, the sound was gone even before they checked the bike, it was ridiculous - it's like going to the doctor to get them to diagnose something and when you get there, the pain is gone. Ivan and Nicole head off along the trail first, since it would take some time before I would get back.

Anyway, my dad and I headed off to Wal-Mart to get much needed and very essential supplies; such as cookies and vanilla wafers. Water came last on my list. I only go through about 18 bottles a day.

After all the shopping, it was about one P.M, so I left during the hottest part of the day.
I met a couple guys biking from Oregon to Virginia that were biking for the College of William and Mary. One of their bikers figured out the mysterious ticking noise was not a pipe bomb, but actually my plastic pedal cracking. If you guys are reading this, Thanks for all the advice and help.

An hour later, I passed a dried up lake and a bunch of fried worms. They were just all laying on the pavement burnt and being eaten up by ants. I know, bad mental image - Sorry.

Got to the hostel at about 4 and settled down for the night.
Thank you Eagles club at Chester for the place to stay.

Last day that I got to hang out with Nicole and Ivan. They're headed up to St.Louis and I'm going through the Ozark mountain range. Thank you for making the past week a memorable experience. I've learned so much from you guys and I hope that if you come to NJ sometime, you'll make a stop at my place where we can have bubble tea and Chinese food.
Have fun at St. Louis and Good Luck on the rest of the journey.

Distance traveled: 30 miles
Time outside: 3 hours
Heat index: 106 degrees

Murphysboro, Il >> Chester, Il

(Chester, where Popeye was first created)

No comments:

Post a Comment