Saturday, August 13, 2011

Utah - Life Elevated Day 38

I started out fast today after I got some Mcdonalds sausage and biscuits....again.
Always seem to sort of rush out into my biking routine, guess I just have the most energy at the start of the trip. I should really learn to conserve more.

Anyway, it only took about an hour and a half to go 20 miles which was pretty good. I stopped for a rest because that's pretty much where the border was. I stopped and met a guy from Paris who was actually going west except not to San Fransisco. He was with a translator and we talked a bit about our journey to Utah before he head off first. I was going to take a few more pics at the border before leaving. The thing is, the Utah border sign was another 200 feet away from the "leaving Colorful Colorado" sign so I biked there and snapped a couple pics.

There, I met a couple cool college students who got off to get a breather. They were headed to Las Vegas. Wish I could have jumped on with them. They were really nice though, gave me water and some snacks.

Not going to lie, Utah didn't give me a warm welcome. Right after I got on my bike, I got this headwind coming at me for pretty much the entire rest of the way.
The worst part, I really needed to go to the bathroom but the problem was that I was 20 miles away from the visitor's center. I couldn't just stop at the side of the road because I was on an interstate and there were no trees or cover around. So basically, even in a headwind, I pedaled like hell because I needed to go to the bathroom - the most painful yet the most motivational. (Best feeling in the world when I got there)

The next town over was Green River but the problem was that I was at an intersection that could bring us to the arches national park. We decided to cut our day there and check out the park instead. We settled on that he would drive me there and we would spend half a day checking out the place and the following day, he'd drop me off at where I left stopped.

Stayed at the Lazy Lizard hostel where I met these three awesome college students.

Total distance: 67 miles
Time outside: 11 hours

Fruita, CO >> 20 miles before Green River, UT

(The last service was 20 miles before the border, and now 40 miles after means that I pretty much didn't run into bathrooms for about 60 miles)

No comments:

Post a Comment