Thursday, August 4, 2011

Numb Day 32

Basically, took it easy the first 60 miles of the run because of knee pain. Drew was biking with me so I had someone nice to talk to while going slowly.

Fast forward. it was already 6:30 at night and we had another 50+ miles to go until we hit Pueblo, CO.This was bad because our average of the day so far was only 11.5 mph, which meant it would take us another 5 hours at least to hit our destination.
We could have stayed at a smaller town that was only 20 miles away but we had set a goal and we had to meet it.

After a couple long and hard hours. It was 10 P.M. and we had another 24 miles to go We were both tired, if not on the verge of exhuasted, it was pitch black and drizzling. We were both miserable. I'm not going to lie, I wanted to get off my bike and just fall down and sleep. I just did now want to go on, even less move.

Then we realized, "Damn, we're going to have to get there anyway. We need to lose this pessimistic mindset and just push ourselves until we die." And so we did. The last 24 miles, we basically raced like we were on 20 cans on redbull. Going at 20 mph average into a 8 mph headwind, we were both screaming and yelling and basically, hoping to get there as fast as possible. A couple miles in, my body went completely numb, I just couldn't feel anything anymore - my legs were on autopilot, and my eyes just focusing on the lights in the distance. All I did was pedal.

It was the most I have ever pushed myself physically and mentally. Knee pain - gone; sense of time - gone. My mind was so set on where I had to be that I continually crushed what I thought was my limit and surpassed where I thought I would stop.

In the end, we made it to town. The hotel was another four miles extra but hey, we had gone this far, lets go another four. And so we did. We got there at 11:30 and we both crashed. Crashed and flat out exhausted.
Tomorrow was definitely a break day.
By the way, Colorado is beautiful.

Distance traveled: 115 miles (I still can't believe it)
Time outside: 16 hours

Eads, CO >> Pueblo, CO
(Drew's got swag)

No comments:

Post a Comment