Tuesday, August 2, 2011

If Charlie Brown lived in Kansas... Day 30

he would never fail at flying that kite.
I had an average 30 mph headwind/side crosswind for pretty much the entire day.
At points, it would turn into a 35 mph gust
that would pretty much blow me off the side of the road.
Actually, I think at points, it was almost as fast just to walk my bike into the blistering wind then to ride it. Also, the wind would almost seem to choke you at points. The wind would blow your shirt back so hard that the neckline of it would actually choke you a bit.

It took about 4 hours to do a measly 25 miles to a small city of Dighton, where I just stayed and tried to wait out the winds. Took a nap and when I woke up at around 6, the winds were still going at 20 mph +. I figured that it wasn't much use in waiting so I headed out. First 5 miles took what seemed like an eternity but at around 7, the winds seemed to just die down and I made good time to Scott City, where I stayed for the night.

Distance traveled: 59 miles
Time outside: 10 hours

Ness City, KS >> Scott City, KS

(That tree was straight when the wind died down for a second)

(At least the sunset was nice)
(Night riding- I could see these lights from 6 miles away. It was frustrating to see them ever so slowly get closer)

No comments:

Post a Comment