Sunday, August 14, 2011

Ninja Dodging Day 41

First 9 miles were all uphill. Figures, I did go downhill for quite a whiles yesterday. After I made it to the top, I sped along until I hit this town called Scipio. It was a small town with, (no not Mcodnalds) but Subway! I had a foot long chicken sandwich and that was about it.

Was reluctant to leave because I had to get on an Interstate highway straight into a headwind. I managed to get my sorry butt out of the chair and made my way slowly to the entrance ramp, where all of a sudden, I spotted a smartphone on the ground. No, it's not as exiting as you think, because it looked like it got run over by 10 trucks and then slept on by a snorlax. Good news was that there was a 16 gb mini-sd in it but when I tried it on the computer, it didn't work. So much for that.

After a good 15 miles, made it off the interstate and onto a highway 50. It really started to look like a stereotypical desert for a short whiles even with a couple sand dunes.
The worst part about this rode was that there were bugs everywhere. Flies and bees would follow me for hundreds of feet and the road was filled with grasshoppers jumping around. Did you know grasshoppers had wings? I seriously thought they just hopped around, but these ones would fly/hop onto your leg or try to go through the spokes on your wheels and get totally demolished.

The only plus side to all these bugs on the road was that I'd have fun trying to dodge them and not run over them because they'd go "CRUNCH." That and I would try to swerve around loose rock on the pavement. I would make these 90 degree turns with my bike or try to lift-jump my bike over an already dead bug. It was fun for the first couple hundred of feet until I figured it slowed me down too much.

Distance traveled: 73 miles
Time outside: 8 hours

Salina, UT >> Delta, UT

(The sunsets are so nice out west)

No comments:

Post a Comment