Sunday, August 28, 2011

Counting Down the Days Day 50

Woke up late and left around 9. I knew this was the second to last day and it would only be a matter of time until I hit the Golden Gate Bridge. I basically ignored all knee pain and even though I was tired, I raced along to my first stop, about 15 miles away, Sacramento.

This city was great - it had it's own bike route made solely for un-motorized vehicles that ran the entire city. I met Tim, another cyclist who showed me around the confusing paths and after a while, had to leave for work.

I made great time speeding along at around 15 mph for about 10 miles, and then slowed down since I burned too much energy. I don't know what it was, but I didn't feel like conserving energy at the time, I was just too caught up in a sort of good mood because I knew I was almost there. If I had knee pain, which I did get, I knew it would be over in 2 days. If I got headwinds, well, that was going to be over too.
After I went trough Sacramento, I came to a place called Davis. One of the colleges there, UC Davis had their own bike team and I was able to talk to a guy named Chris who told me a bit about the school. While biking through flats, I saw the team doing time trials and I became engrossed in the sort of race. Maybe I'll get a $5000 bike someday and go join a team.

Anyway, it soon became dark and I still wasn't at a campsite. There were two that I could have stopped at. One was only 85 miles but I was in such high spirits that I decided to make it to the one that was 97 miles away. That, and I didn't want to bike that much tomorrow.

On the way to the last campsite, I got this humongous cramp in my right thigh. I've never gotten cramps on this trip, which surprised me, but this one was like, all the cramps I should have gotten put into one. It took at least 5 minutes before I could get back on my bike again, but it was alright, it's not like I was in a rush since it was dark already anyway. Ate a banana for the potassium and was on my way again.

Distance traveled: 97 miles
Time outside: 12 hours

Shingle Springs, CA >> Fairfield, CA

(Hit my leg against the pedal)

No comments:

Post a Comment